So I had two people tell me they are scared to stray from their soup everyday or their turkey sandwich because they don’t know calories wise and whats healthy enough to be eating. My reply, GROSSSSS. I can not eat a turkey on wheat by itself EVERYDAY! I can do it some days but not EVERYDAY!!! Kill me now! HAHA. SO, here are some basic, go to ideas for eating healthy! I always try new recipes so I don’t get bored with the same things! This is my go to when I don’t have time to plan, cook, try a new recipe, etc… Be sure to check out my post in healthy eating because I ALWAYS try the recipes before I post and they have to meet my standards before I put them on here!!
- boiled egg whites
- egg white omelet or scrambled eggs- you can add cheese, spinach, ham, bell pepper, onion, etc…,
- Oatmeal- get the plain oats and add stevia and blueberries or stevia and cinnamon – you can also add any other berries, etc.. you want to add! The frozen fruits work as well! I LOVE the better oats mmmm blueberry muffin oatmeal – 5 pouches come in the box – a pouch is 160 calories and so easy to make that I eat it at work! They have other flavors and lighter versions but that one is my favorite!
- Greek Yogurt or a Parfait – parfaits are easy to make! Layer Fruit and Greek yogurt how you like it and then top with granola
- I had half a smoothie and half a ham on wheat with an egg for breakfast! I always make extra and started getting beck to drink them when he was young and he LOVES them! Now Noah is drinking them! So I usually just make a big batch and everybody has a smoothie with their breakfast. The smoothie isn’t enough for breakfast by itself so I always have something with it to keep me full longer.
- breakfast sandwiches/wraps – use 100 calorie wheat bagels thins, 100 calorie english muffins, 45 calories wheat bread, or low-calorie tortillas – use deli ham, turkey bacon, sausage (I only use a little of this in my breakfast burritos) you can fry up an egg white (I spray my pan with canola oil or a light mist of olive oil or scramble some egg whites (I usually allow 1 egg yolk a day) Try adding celery salt to your eggs while your cooking – Russell does this and it’s so yummy! You can add cheese, avocado, a light calories jam, etc.. to change the sandwiches up! Mix and match different weeks so you aren’t eating the same thing every morning
- Egg in a bread- This is my husbands! He makes them for all of us! Get a piece of bread and something to press out a circle in the center (we use the top of a sippy cup) Place bread in a pan with a touch of butter. Crack and egg or egg white in the whole in the middle of the bread and cook it, flip to cook the other side. The extra circle of bread you can cook on the side and eat as well. So you end up with a piece of bread and the egg in the center of the bread. Quite yummy! Celery salt is really good on this! Just add it when you are cooking it!
- Lox (Smoked Salmon) and a touch of cream cheese on a 100 calorie thin bagel!
- Protein Shake
- 100 Calorie bagel with PB2 and slices of banana or berries!
- boiled egg whites (I usually boil the eggs and try to peel them at night and store in a Ziploc bag so I can grab and go)
- in a hurry then have muscle milk shake to go, even the LIGHT one is good, smoothies or protein shakes
- Peanut Butter (PB2) with fruit or on half a piece of wheat bread it quite yummy and you can by the chocolate kind of PB2 and put a little of each on the bread, it kind of make a reeses on the wheat.
- NEED CHOCOLATE ?!?! I don’t keep chocolate around me (because everyone knows I would devour the entire bag within minutes) so when I am desperate I get a handful of salty peanuts and a few semi sweet morsels and mix together to give me a salty/sweet fix! The semi sweet isn’t the milk chocolate that leaves me craving more! It’s not as sweet but I found that when I eat the semi sweet/dark chocolate I don’t keep going back like I would for milk chocolate and my sweet tooth is fixed!
- Chobani is making 100 calorie greek yogurts now! I LOVE the pomegranate and pineapple!! Look at the yogurt your eating and pay attention to the ingredients! You can also have a parfait.
- Of course any fruit or any veggie is wonderful!!! Kiwi, pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, banana, apples, oranges, grapes, celery, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumbers, bell peppers (with a light ranch only, ha) THE LIST GOES ON!
- small salads are great! I have done just plain and simple ones for snack time such as: spinach, a few Kalamata olives, and a sprinkle of feta cheese. Slices tomatoes, black olives, cucumbers, sprinkled feta, and a light italian dressing. I LOVE a little feta and strawberries/blueberries on my salads, sometimes I add grilled chicken so that I have a little protein with no dressing.
- Boiled egg whites
- a light soup – you can do half a sandwich and a small bowl of soup as well
- a sandwich or wrap (Spice up your sandwiches – add arugula lettuce(its peppery) and a light mayo (just a tad too wet it) and a tomato – I usually don’t add mayo, I leave it plain or use mustard to save calories but sometimes I just need to spice it up so I will add a touch of it. Try avocado sliced up on it. Add a piece of cheese that is lower in calories. Sometimes if I am at home and have room for the calories I add a piece of turkey bacon. Switch up the lettuce and use spinach leaves, etc…
- Mix a half or whole depending on how many calories you want to go with tunafish (make sure its in water kind) add some lemon juice or pepper if you want – you can eat with crackers (I prefer the almond cracker especially the cheese flavor in the organic/bread section of Kroger) OR you can put on a bed of lettuce! QUIET YUMMY!
- salads – watch how much dressing you use!
- Grilled chicken on a wheat bun with lettuce and a pineapple slice – if you can’t cook the chicken at lunch, you can always cook it the night before!
- Chicken salad – use celery, pecans, grapes and I use just a touch of light mayo sometimes a touch of the Dijon to wet it just a little and not add too many calories!
- Need a pasta fix – buy the smart taste or a healthier form of pasta – and for sauce get a tomato bruschetta (I LOVE the private selection kind at Kroger) instead! Use a kid size plate or bowl and fix a small amount and serve with a salad! Eat the salad first so you fill up on lettuce and clean stuff! EASY for a quick meal one night and it satisfies your carb craving.
- Fish is so good for you! I love tuna, salmon, catfish – You can do all sorts of things with fish!
- Also I LOVE cooking shrimp because you can boil, grill, or cook in the oven – keeping it easy and healthy!
- We do a lot of grilled chicken and steaks at our house, with a veggie side dish. We really don’t do carbs at night that much anymore. you can do kabobs with steak or chicken!
- We make salads with the meat in them like a flat-iron steak salad or a grilled chicken salad with the eggs, a little cheese, a few bacon crumbles. avocados, cucumbers, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, onions(can be sautéed or grilled), peppers (can be sautéed or grilled) mushrooms (can be sautéed), carrots, pecans, celery, almond slices, walnuts, sunflower seeds, etc..Just watch how much of the extra you put on there! WATCH YOUR DRESSING! We use low-calorie kinds and try to not use a lot!
Check out my healthy eating category for smoothie recipes, protein shakes, dessert recipes, and other healthy foods to try!
I will be adding a guacamole dip this week that is to DIE for!!!!