Yes, it is a healthier version of bread pudding, see recipe below!
Last Saturday we made Irish Beef Stew and Mashed Potatoes*** ( I ran 9 miles Saturday so I didn’t feel to guilty about this, ha!) and to finish it off this Skinny Pina Colada Bread Pudding! It was quiet a good treat to have! I must say I did enjoy it! NOW don’t get me wrong ladies and gentleman – THIS IS NOT YOUR TYPICAL SOUTHERN BREAD PUDDING FULL OF FAT AND OH SO DELICIOUS THAT MAKES YOUR EYES ROLL BACK IN YOUR HEAD! BUTTTTTT we can’t have our eyes roll back in our heads every night for one thing it wouldn’t be special anymore and we don’t want to develop a lot of rolls in the stomach area. SOOOO this is a great recipe to satisfy you while you are trying to be as healthy as possible!
Next time I make it – I will try doing the 45 calories lighter wheat bread to see the difference and I will use less whiskey in the sauce. Now, don’t get me wrong…I am a whiskey girl for sure! Whiskey is my go to drink and I do drink it with just water (I KNOW, I am a guy, right? Russell got me drinking my whiskey with water. I do have country in me and I grew up with two older brothers! Whiskey was introduced to me in my college years by my brothers at our cabin one night. I was a vodka girl for quiet a number of years before that.) SO I AM NOT a whiny little girl. Even my dad said yeah I can really taste that whiskey ha! Maybe I added an extra splash when I was making it, I can’t remember. I probably should have just drizzled the whiskey sauce on it, but as usual the bigger the better so I did a lot on them! So next time I will cut back on the whiskey a tad and just drizzle it on top, more can always be added later! OH and I didn’t have the half and half so I just used milk!
By the way the coconut oil – if you haven’t heard of it yet, get on the bandwagon! It has a high smoke point so chefs are using it everywhere! Its healthy and natural! Put it on toast instead of butter, put it on pans to cook eggs, grill a sandwich, etc…., pop your popcorn with it, drizzle some on popcorn and shake a little salt on it (makes it similar to move theater popcorn) put it on your split ends, use it on dry skin, to shave legs, sun burned skin, also a good makeup remover, the list goes on and on! I put on the boys when they are wind burnt, I use on my skin and face as well.
****The Irish Beef Stew recipe I have is super yummy and quiet filling! I will pass it on one day for those of you who would like to try it! KEEP YOUR PROPORTIONS IN MIND THOUGH!
Thanks Taylor for a great healthy dessert that is quiet yummy!
Skinny Piña Colada Bread Pudding with Coconut Whiskey Sauce
Author: Taylor | Food Faith Fitness
8 Slices stale white bread, cut into ¾ inch cubes (about 6 cups.)
1 Cup Light coconut milk
½ Cup Half and half
3 Eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp Vanilla extract
½ Cup Splenda
1 Cup Crushed pineapple, drained
2 Tbsp Brown sugar
For the sauce:
½ Cup coconut oil, melted
1 Cup Splenda
3 Tbsp Whiskey
1. Day 1: Cut the bread into ¾ inch cubes and place into a large bowl.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the light coconut milk, half and half, lightly beaten eggs, vanilla, Splenda and
3. Pour the liquid mixture over top of the bread and really stir it around, making sure all the bread is soaking.
4. Cover and let it sit in the fridge over-night **.
5. Day two: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 6 cup baking dish with cooking spray.
6. Uncover the bread pudding, transfer to baking dish, and sprinkle with 2 Tbsp of brown sugar.
7. Bake until the center of the pudding feels set, and the edges begin to pull away from the sides (about 40
8. Turn the oven to HIGH broil, and broil an addition 2-3 minutes, until the top has turned nice and golden.
9. While the bread pudding cooks, you can get the whiskey sauce ready.
10. Whisk the melted coconut oil, Splenda and egg in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir it constantly until it just
begins to thicken up (2-3 minutes.) Watch it closely so it doesn’t curdle!
11. Whisk in the whiskey, and remove from heat.
12. Set it aside until the pudding is ready, giving it a good whisk just before serving.
13. Once the pudding is ready, serve warm topped with whiskey sauce and devour!
**If you don’t have the time to let it soak overnight, let it soak for at least 2 hours.
Recipe by The Emerging Foodie at http://emergingfoodie.com/2014/01/10/skinny-pina-colada-bread-pudding-coconut-whiskey-sauce/